Things I’ve thought about this past week:
- D and I celebrated our second anniversary. To be honest, I’ve spent the past month dreading the day – and for absolutely no good reason. There’s something about being with a person whom I love so much that is so exhilarating, but also so, so terrifying, in the cosmic sense of the word. In some ways, approaching a relationship milestone is akin to attending your own execution. It feels like there are so many meanings that our culture teaches us to imbue into these moments. But then, when I reach them I realize that all of my worries are for nothing. D and I make our own rules.
- Thai green curry is the best comfort food.
- Thai green curry is the best date food.
- Two weeks of bedrest with pneumonia is all I can take before I go stir-crazy. After two weeks, I leave the house, although I am still sick with pneumonia.
- I can’t stop drinking caffeinated beverages while sick, for to stop drinking coffee is to suffer a fate worse than death (being sick makes me drift into hyperbole).
- Bringing immediacy to the words that I write carries them closer to the type of writing that conveys a truth and a certainty about my life here.
- Pomelo (柚子) is the kind of fruit that grapefruit aspires to be. Eating a whole pomelo in one sitting, however, is nearly impossible.
- My primary job duty is to be one Google search ahead from the people asking questions. It’s worked so far.
- I’ve felt that first afternoon that smells like Spring has come to Shanghai.